Wednesday, May 09, 2007

So close yet so far…

I didn't get any sleep Saturday night. It was part of my sleep time adjustment plan. Then half way through the night someone let me know that the mil internet access was inadequately monitored so I identified the network settings and stole redirected some bandwidth just in time to catch the last few hours of the MilBlog Conference. I even managed an hour or two of video; well, broken audio with an occasional image.

Sunday morning was just a fight to stay awake until I could get on the plane. We were wheels up early afternoon and made a straight line back to McCord AFB with only two brief stops for refueling. After about 20 hours on the plane we landed in the middle of the afternoon Sunday, dropped our bags in our temporary home and found our way to a local fire baked pizza restaurant.

Monday was painful. Briefings all morning (not something a bunch of jet-lagged guys would have chosen) and long lines all afternoon to ensure we knew what benefits were available and our health and paperwork were all in order so we could be discharged from active duty. Monday's dinner was at a very good BBQ place.

My system is not used to the wide variety of rich foods I have been eating lately and I have been paying for it, but it's worth it eating meals without rice. All the anticipation for my return home has been quite anticlimactic. It almost feels like I never left; no excitement in the new freedoms and greatly improved lifestyle. Maybe I'm still emotionally numb from the transition or maybe I've done it so many times that I don't care anymore. Still, I've come a long way but I'm not home yet.

|
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com